Friday, November 11, 2011

Worst Joke Ever

A little prelude to this story.

The last seven years of my professional life I've worked with an anti-drug enforcement agency. Seven years, a long time.

I am the accountant/HR bitch. Typically not the position that humorous people hold. I try my best to keep the office light-hearted, passing all my bad humor to my co-workers in hope that they laugh. Mind you, I'm still an accountant, little to no humor in the accounting profession.

I'm trying to break the mold.

We had a meeting this week with some graduate students who offered to help the agency and complete thier grad school thesis. As the meeting was wrapping up, someone asked how they found my agency.

Grad Student: We found your website. I'm totally into the whole drug cartel thing.

Me (after a 5 second uncomfortable pause, someone had to say something): So, are you pro or con on the whole drug cartel thing?

Obviously a sarcastic question. Right?

Grad Student: Actually, a year ago my husband and his brother were kidnapped by a cartel and left for dead in the mountains. They managed to escape and came out of it alive.


Uh.

I could feel my ears burning as my attempt at humor went down faster than (insert penis erection failing story here).

Only way it could have been worse is if her husband died.

No more jokes from this guy (Jon Gruden reference).

But seriously, pro or con for drug cartels? Not a good start for any kind of joke.

No comments: