Monday, July 10, 2006

Love Song for Bobby

So I saw a really disturbing movie over the weekend, Love Song for Bobby, I wouldn’t have even watched it but I saw John Travolta and Scarlett Johansson were in it. I won’t get into the whole plot of the movie and all, I’m not a movie reviewer (heck, I can hardly write, I work with numbers all day). The disturbing part was how much John Travolta and his roommate/friend drank every day. His roommate would walk into Bobby’s bedroom around noon to wake him up with a glass of vodka in hand. They were irritated when there wasn’t any orange juice in the fridge to mix with their breakfast drink. Out of the 2 hour long movie I’m guessing a good 1 hour had alcoholic beverages on the screen, whether it be the vodka or beer or Jack. Their homeless friends were always sitting out singing songs to the guitar and (or course) drinking beer. Don’t ask me how they paid for any of the alcohol, there weren’t too many people in the movie who had jobs. No car either, they would walk what seemed like forever just to go to town. Every day they would drink, smoke, and philosophize about anything and everything. Being an ex English professor Bobby was always quoting some author or another. His friend was writing a book about Bobby’s life, he would write and then shred it and/or burn the pages. And I must admit I did shed a tear on numerous occasions, thankfully nobody was there to see it. But then again I usually get a little emotional while watching movies, I’ll admit I cried during Armageddon when Bruce Willis pushed Ben Affleck into the elevator and stayed on the meteor to blow it up. Scarlett was pretty easy on the eyes, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your starting to lose the funny edge that makes this blog so attractive to come to. Snap out of the funk! What's up with you and the chickadee who kissing was better than screwing the other women? Did she even read it?

B to the... said...

Oh, just wait for this week's entries, I'm afraid they'll go steeply downhill as I'm not drinking till Friday.

Anonymous said...

it will be ok, jus tthink of all the weight u will lose. u will be 204 in no time.

Anonymous said...

Actually, it's Love Song for Bobby Long, and unfortunately all you saw was the massive amounts of drinking when in all actuality it's a story about acceptance, forgiveness, and basic human emotions. I question whether you are familiar with any of these.