Thursday, December 20, 2012

T-Bear

I have a friend who comes over every Tuesday for dinner.  This Tuesday he brought over the movie "Ted."  We had seen the previews on TV for weeks and thought it looked like a decent movie.  And when I read one review about the crass, homophobic, and generally lewd humor I just knew that it was going to be a hit.

And it was.  We laughed and laughed at each "beat up the Jewish kid" joke or "trailer trash name" for the girl Ted screwed on top of the produce (I now only refer to my friend with the suffix "Lynn" following his name).  I'm not going to say it was a timeless classic, but I'd definitely watch it again (and probably again after that, too).

But wouldn't you know it, you put an adorable stuffed animal/best friend in a movie, build up the plot line/relationship/friendship, and have something bad happen to the little guy… let's just say I had to wipe my face a couple times with my sleeve so my friend wouldn't see the tears in my eyes.  Did I mention the movie was "Ted"?  I know, fucking pussy.

I was an only child for 13 years of my life.  I'm not going to say I was a loser or anything, but I tended to enjoy playing by myself rather than attend birthday parties or play with other kids.  I had every Transformer, every G.I. Joe, all the He-Man characters, and an abundance of stuffed animals to play with.  My very favorite was always T-Bear.  I would dress him up in clothes (baby clothes were the only thing that fit him) kind of like how you would imagine a little girl would play with her dolls.  After writing/re-reading that sentence, I'm starting to figure out why I turned out the way I did.

I slept with T-Bear every night.  T-Bear went on every vacation with me.  T-Bear was loved so much that he had patches where his fur had worn off.  And now that I've grown up, just like the sad Pooh story, T-Bear resides in my closet, along with the Velveteen Rabbit and Henry, the big yellow dog.  But this holiday weekend I'll make sure he gets to come out and play for a bit, just like old times.

No comments: