Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Weekend Escape To Michigan

This last weekend the Renter and I got out of Milwaukee and hit the road for Gobles, Michigan. That's about a 240 mile drive but going through Chicago makes it seem like a lot farther. We usually leave after work on a Friday and that timing doesn't help any.

Once we got there everything was lovely. Between our friends' cooking (awesome) and time spent chilling, talking and cruising the lake, you couldn't have asked for a better time. I took three 30-packs and a cooler pre-filled with 22 on ice and managed to go through all but ten cans by Monday night. I've driven there before with nothing but warm beer and the hour spent waiting for the beer to get cold is excruciating; hence the cooler being pre-stocked. I walked up to their house with a cold one in hand.

We left on Monday and were invited to stay at our friends' house in Chicago. The Renter and I have off from work this whole week. I figured this would be a nice break in the drive, dividing it up in half. But I guess, after many beers, it was decided that we'd spend a couple days in Chicago. I felt like getting out of our friends' hair after one night. We had off from work but they didn't and who wants two people camped out in your living room for any extended period of time? And I was down to $30 in my wallet. I caught hell from the Renter for wanting to leave but even she was worn out by the time we got home on Tuesday. Oh, and leaving at 1:00 pm on a Tuesday in Chicago meant there was no traffic on the freeway. That made a huge difference.

I had been getting texts from my friends while I was out of town.

"When are you guys coming back?"

"I'm jonesing to go sit on your deck!"

"How do you put up with babysitting the Man-child?"

Wouldn't you know it, even with the threat of rain looming, I had friends over four hours after I got home. We all huddled under a canopy as the rain came down, watching the Brewers game from the TV in my kitchen window. While leaving one group of friends was tough, seeing the regulars after a four day absence was nice, too.

No comments: