Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Feeling Safe on Your Porch

I work for an agency that promotes public safety. That’s about all you’ll get out of me on that topic.

I had a lunch meeting where one of our supporters talked about how cleaning up neighborhoods make residents feel safe on their front porches. I won’t elaborate any more on that one either.

And then there’s my back porch. I live on a corner lot so my “back porch” is pretty much exposed to the street on the side of my house. Everyone can see what’s going on when anyone is out there. I feel safe on my deck. I’m not so sure my neighbors feel safe when I’m on my deck, not after last night.

Rich had Wednesday off from work. When he has off he tends to start early. When he came over at 5:30 you could tell he had a few in him. Absolutely would not shut up.

The puppy started barking at something in the back yard. I found it odd as she usually doesn’t bark at anything but other dogs walking on the sidewalk. I got up to see what it was and I saw a black cat lurking around the wood for the fire pit. Instantly Rich jumped up and ran home – to get his fucking pellet gun – all while I’m yelling at him not to get it.

The Renter quietly slipped into the house and got my BB gun. I stood up to provide a little cover from the neighbors who were having a party of some sort.

Doonk.

Meow!

The Renter hit the cat but the BB gun doesn’t have enough power to do any damage so it just scampered off. No big deal. But then I see Rich running up the block with his pellet gun, in broad daylight. I heard one woman next door yell at her little girl to get in the house. To make matters worse he started pumping the rifle while he was in front of my neighbor’s house, great big grin on his face. By now at least two of the mothers at the party were in their front yard staring at him. He was disappointed the cat was gone. I was completely embarrassed for being associated with the neighborhood terror.

Five minutes later the two moms were still in the front yard looking at Rich. He stood up and yelled, “What?”

“Sit the fuck down and shut up, Rich!”

As if I wasn’t embarrassed enough as it was.

No comments: