Monday, November 17, 2008

Motivation

All the years of my life lifting weights and I have never needed a “training partner” or some other form of motivation. The mere guilt of not lifting has been enough motivation in the past. But lately, fuck, I can’t seem to drag my ass to the gym for the life of me. Oh, and trust me, I’ve had some legitimate excuses for not going lately. I’ve also had some total bullshit excuses, too. I had a chest cold for a good week that literally left me weak after doing routine shit around the house like mopping (ok, so that really shouldn’t be considered “routine” when I do it once a month). I was well enough to lift last week Thursday and Friday. That’s when the bullshit excuses started. “Oh, I haven’t lifted for a week, why not just take off the rest of the week and come back fresh on Monday?” Then Monday came and I still didn’t make it in. I don’t even know what today’s excuse was, just didn’t feel like it. And now, after taking two weeks off, I’m kind of scared to go in and utterly fail at pressing what I used to do. Hell, I even popped in the Branch Warren video for a bit this weekend to get myself psyched up for the gym. There he was with his buddy putting up 405 on the incline bench eight times. So it got me to thinking, what if I had a workout partner? First of all, I’d have an obligation to go in or else let my partner down. Second, if I found the right person, the workouts would be much more productive with little sitting around reading the paper. And having a spotter on the bench press? I haven’t really had one of those in a number of years. Every once in a while I’ll ask someone to spot me and I always get a good two or three more reps knowing I have someone to help if need be. That being said, no, my ideal training partner would not be some hot blond with fake titties out to here. I hate to put “partner” and “guy” in the same sentence, but my training partner would have to be a guy with similar size and strength as I. No FA, I’m not looking for anyone under 180 lbs, you’d be out. Oh God, sounds like I’m describing my perfect man and not a workout partner. “He’d have to have brown hair and nice abs, at least six feet tall with a cute butt.” Yeah, never mind, I’ll just go to the gym by myself tomorrow.

(FA, don’t worry, you wouldn’t fit that description either. 5’10.5” doesn’t equate to six feet tall.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for saying I'm under 180. Nicest thing you ever said to me. I'm pushing 2 bills buddy (like to be 180 again)...

FA (5'11 3/4" , 195lb)