Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Greg Reynolds, ESPN’s “Streak for the Cash”

Greg Reynolds, ESPN’s “Streak for the Cash”
My buddy and long-time friend Greg Reynolds from Chico, California, almost won $1 million dollars last night on ESPN’s game “Streak for the Cash.” Basically you have to pick 25 games in a row without a loss to win the million dollars. What makes the game somewhat plausible is that you don’t have to pick against the spread or the Vegas line, just straight out wins.

Greg started out at the end of October with a win on the Breeders Cup. Ya, I know, why would you jeopardize everything on a stupid horse race but as Greg and I have talked about it, he had to get his first win somewhere. Greg’s called me quite a few times asking for my opinion on games and various matchups. Other times he hasn’t (when he almost lost taking Allen Iverson’s points and assists against Kobe Bryant’s points alone – Greg pushed on that one).

Sunday night my phone rang. It was just before the NFL night game and Greg wanted my opinion. I had already “given my opinion” to my man but I was getting three points; Greg wasn’t getting any points. After talking about how ugly Philip Rivers is and how LaDainian Tomlinson is getting worn out from all those TV commercials Greg decided to go with me on the Indianapolis Colts selection. The Colts won on a last second 51 yard field goal. Whew.

Greg was out of town on Monday. Greg doesn’t have AT&T so he didn’t get my call. Greg picked the Packers. Fuck.

I didn’t like this game. The line had started out with the Saints favored by three points but by kickoff the game was a pick. Three point swings in the NFL are huge, almost unheard of. Something didn’t seem right. Then six of the nine ESPN “expert” analysts picked the Packers to win, an almost sure sign that the Saints were going to triumph.

I tried calling Greg again. No answer.

I went online and saw that Greg had made his pick already but I wasn’t able to see which way he went.

I tried calling Greg again. Fuck, no answer.

Now, knowing that Greg had made his pick, well, I had to give Greg my advanced-gambler’s-addict-supreme advice. You see, with the line on the game at a pick (no points going either way), and with ESPN’s “Streak for the Cash” game not using the point spread, Greg could effectively make himself a $500,000 winner before the game even kicked off.

I know some shady people. I know some even shadier people out in California (you know, with the bright sun and all). All Greg had to do was secure $500,000 from said shady people, drive on over to Las Vegas and wager on the opposite side of the game which he picked on ESPN. If the game he picked in Vegas won, he wins $500,000. If the game on ESPN wins, he loses $500,000 to Vegas but brings in $1 million from ESPN. $500,000 winner either way. He wouldn’t even have to watch the game. He could have been sitting in the Cheetah Club getting b-jers from every skank in the establishment.

But no, Greg doesn’t have AT&T. Greg didn’t get my call. Greg certainly didn’t get any b-jers. Greg was not yelling “Winner, winner, chicken dinner!”

Speaking of which, you’d be surprised by the reactions I get when I tell people I’m having KFC on Thanksgiving.

No comments: