Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Finally, Football Sundays

Since the Packers played their first game on Monday night, Sunday was my first full-blown Packer Sunday. I don’t know if you remember from last year but I run the pools at the corner bar ($5 gets you a line to which a number is revealed – 0 to 9 - after everyone has signed up). Sometimes its fun and you get to meet new people. Some winners will spot you a $5 for running the pool. Sometimes it’s just a freaking pain in the butt. But I don’t do it for the tips or the people. I do it because I get to drink for free while I’m “working.” Last year I’d go through about a pitcher a quarter. This year I decided to step it up. My memory is a little hazy (and rightly so) but I think I went through six pitchers watching the Packers lay the smack down on the Detroit Lions. Actually, it wasn’t a complete smack down as the Packers squandered a 21 point lead in the final quarter before they had three timely interceptions (two for touchdowns) to regain the lead. Aaron Rodgers’ play eased the minds of many Brett Favre fans with his quick feet and good decision making. All in all it was a pretty good day. But the best part about football Sundays: twelve hours of knocked out cold sleep. I usually make it to the start of the night game, sometimes even to halftime. After that it’s off to bed around 8:00 for twelve hours of continuous sleep. Ah yes, football, free beer, and loads of fun followed by a rejuvenating slumber.

Thank you, Roger Goodell, for giving us the greatest sport known to man.

And for scheduling the Packers on Sunday night next week.

Asshole.

No comments: