Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Year’s Lifters

With the new year and the new school year (remember, I lift at a local college), there are all kinds of fresh faces in the weight room. Unfortunately for me, most of these new faces are that of guys. No, I’m not gay, I just haven’t ventured out to the room with the aerobic machines where the chicks hang out. You tend to stay out of there when you smoke and only have three ligaments in one knee.

I’m not going to gloat and brag and say that I knew everything about weightlifting when I was a freshman. I knew what I was doing, just didn’t know how to group exercises together or how often to do them. Hell, I still don’t know all that much, but I have learned over the years. The students I observe in the weight room must have picked up their routines from a bunch of broads. I’ll watch them do a set of curls, then a set of shoulders, then a set of shrugs, then a set of pull downs, then a set of triceps, just jumping all around the various muscles and exercises. They will never get big this way. Hell, they probably won’t even see any results for over a month, if that; and the results are guaranteed to be minimal. I’d like to give them advice but that just isn’t me. I don’t like telling people what they should do. If somebody asked me what I did I’d gladly tell them; hell, I’d give them two or three different routines to try. I haven’t read a muscle magazine in years. I ask people, big people, what they do and then I try it. Big people didn’t get big just by chance. Sure, genetics has a lot to do with it, but typically big people have found routines that work for them. Even if I’ve found a routine that I like I’ll stick pick another guy’s brain in the weight room. It doesn’t hurt to ask.

And yes, I’m still working on my own little guide to weightlifting. I had some time on Monday night to write more on it since I’ve decided to try to stay out of the bar this week (save a little cash and it’s going to be a busy week at work). It’s just over 3,000 words. I’d like to spend a couple days editing it (you know, with my 8th grade English skills), and maybe get it up on here on Thursday or Friday. I know, 95% of you probably couldn’t give a fuck about weightlifting, but it’s something that I enjoy and would like to share with you. I know the FA will read it, although since he and his wife had a munchkin I doubt he’s had much of a chance to workout lately. Maybe it will inspire him to break out of his pussy shell and get back in the gym. Who knows. Anyway, it’s coming, like it or not.

No comments: