Friday, December 07, 2007

$40

Two weeks ago Monday I was sitting at the bar talking with the bartender. I told him how he was pretty much the only person I’d lend money to because I know he’s good for it. He might be late on paying it back but he makes sure it gets settled.

I shouldn’t have said anything.

That night Mr. Top asked me for $60. He’s had this little kick lately for those “amusement only” gambling machines. He’s hit some jackpots but not nearly as much as he’s put in them. I trust him so I gave it to him (and then didn’t have any “gas money” for the lady friend). He paid me back three days later.

Saturday night Mr. Baseball asked if he could borrow some money. Mr. Baseball is older, maybe 48, and can tell you the answer to any baseball trivia question out there. I asked him how much and gave him $40. He said he’d pay me back on Tuesday when he got paid.

Tuesday came and went, no Mr. Baseball.

Wednesday came and went, no Mr. Baseball.

This guy is in the bar every night and now he doesn’t show up for two days straight?

Thursday when I walked in Mr. Baseball was sitting there reading the sports page. I said hi, walked past and grabbed a stool at the bar. After about half an hour he came over and sat next to me.

Mr. Baseball: Hey, do you need that $40 back?

Me: No, I don’t really need it back.

Mr. Baseball: Because I have it on me if you need it.

Huh?

I’m not going to brag or anything but by God’s good fortune I’m pretty well off as far as finances are concerned (mentally and sexually, ugh, we won’t go there, I don’t feel like crying today). Sure, I’ve had a $1,100 medical bill sitting on my dresser for the past three weeks but I’ll get around to that after the 20th when the credit card billing period ends. I always pay that off in full to avoid finance charges. But I don’t need $40. I would like it back, but I don’t necessarily need it right now. So now I’m at a quandary about what to do. He said he had it on him. Do I make up some shit that oh, now I need it just to get it out of him? If I wait too long he might not have it on him anymore. But then again I don’t want to ask for the money back if it’s going to put him in a bind. I’m an asshole but I don’t maliciously do things to make other people’s lives uncomfortable. Hell, I can’t remember the last time the Renter paid rent on or before the first of the month. I might ask once or twice but I know she’ll get it to me at some point (I think). I don’t know, I think I’ll hit him up for it tonight just to get it over with. And then go straight to the strip club. I know those girls need my $40.

No comments: