Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Leg (And No, Not a Chicken Leg, Well…)

At this point I’d like to thank all of you who have sent me concerned emails regarding the whole knee surgery (none, bastards).

(I’m really kidding with you here. This is a stupid blog, I don’t expect any emails from ya’ll. Blogs aren’t really supposed to be interactive except for maybe the comment section. But if you’re looking to hook up…)

The knee surgery went well and the recovery is an ongoing process. The doctor said I really didn’t need any physical therapy, I just have to keep on working on the range of motion. Yeah, well I’ve been doing this every day sitting at the corner bar, bending the knee further and further every day. So last week Friday I thought it was time for a little leg workout in the gym. At the end of my typical back workout I sat down on the leg extension machine. Setting the pin at an even girlishly low setting of 15 lbs (I know, pussy) I started doing the one legged extensions. Friends, it wasn’t pretty. The 15 lbs was just a starting point. I probably could have done more but I was just starting out and didn’t want to over do it. If you were there you would have seen me gripping the seat and grinding my teeth through a two minute long set. I know that sounds pitiful (I’m glad there weren’t too many people in the gym) but like I said, I didn’t want to over do it.

I didn’t want to over do it but of course, I did. My leg still hurts four days later. I guess when you don’t use a muscle for two months and then try to work it out, no matter how little you do, you’re going to feel it. I was limping around the office today just like I did a month ago. But it was a start. I just hope the next leg workout doesn’t end with the same result. I already had skinny legs; I don’t need to be called Chicken Leg any longer than I can help it. I’ll give it a shot again on Wednesday and see what happens.

On another note, I got 245 lbs up on the bench press twice. When I first joined the gym a month ago 185 lbs was tough. Hopefully I can get back to my hey day shape of 2001 when I was doing 245 lbs 10 times. (The last time I actually tried to match that was two summers ago – I ended up tweaking my back/shoulder and had to do pushups for my chest workout for three months.)

I’ll see if I can shit myself tonight so I have a good story for you tomorrow (or sometime on this extended weekend, I don’t think many people will be visiting here since you won’t be at work – I won’t tell your boss, your secret’s safe with me.)

No comments: