Saturday, October 20, 2007

5:30

I got the call at 3:00. It was the Renter. At least it sounded like the Renter. There was a squeaky scratchy voice on the other end of the line.

“They won’t let me leave till I… (something, something). They want me to stay here till Friday.”

Wow, that sucks. No one wants to be in a hospital that long, especially for what you thought was a day surgery.

So I finished what ended up being a three hour marathon weight lifting session (actual lifting time – 30 minutes), took a shower and headed up to the bar. I knew my good friend bartender was working and I figured I’d chill with him for a bit. To my joy the bar was empty except for the bartender and the manager. We sat and chatted for quite some time before anyone else walked in the door. And then my phone rang.

“Can you come get me?”

“Huh? You said Friday.”

“No, I said 5:30.”

“Oh.”

By this time I was two pitchers in. I don’t drive after having anything to drink. Someone had some issues back when he was younger. Not like I don’t have any now.

“So can you come get me?”

“Ah, no, not really.”

The Renter hung up on me and called her friend crying because she didn’t have a ride (women cry way too much). Five minutes later my buddy Jeff walked in the bar. Jeff said he’d drive me over to the hospital. I tried calling the Renter but she didn’t have her cell phone on. Then the bar phone rang and it was the Renter. Who calls a bar looking for a ride? Anyway, the bartender told her we’d be over in five minutes. We left, picked her up, threw her in bed and went back to the bar.

(Jeff, if you’re reading this, thanks again.)

The Renter was in pretty bad shape. I’m guessing she had her surgery at 1:00 and by 6:30 she was still wobbly as hell. I don’t know what’s all involved with going under but it must affect everyone differently. When I had my surgery I went under at 8:00 and by 11:30 I was hobbling around and downing two double cheeseburgers from McD’s.

And now everyone thinks I’m an ass because I was drinking and couldn’t pick her up when I fully believed she said Friday. Damn oriental people and their fwied wice and shit.

No comments: