Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tale of Two Athletes

Clinton Portis, star running back of the Washington Redskins, recently made these comments about Michael Vick and his involvement in illegal dog fighting (from ESPN.com):

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog," Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis told WAVY-TV in Virginia. "If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business."

When told that dog fighting is a felony, Portis replied, "It can't be too bad of a crime."

"You want to hunt down Mike Vick over fighting some dogs?," Portis told the television station. "I think people should mind their own business."

Portis said that dog fighting is more common than people think.

"I know a lot of back roads that have the dog fighting if you want to go see it," he said.

And then, after his agent reminded Portis that NFL contracts are not guaranteed:

"In the recent interview I gave concerning dog fighting, I want to make it clear I do not take part in dog fighting or condone dog fighting in any manner."


Why athletes continue to come up negatively in the media, even if they aren’t involved with the controversy itself, continues to astound me.

But don’t worry, there is hope in sight. Greg Oden, the outstanding freshman from Ohio State, will be drafted by some very lucky team in the near future. LZ Granderson wrote a heartwarming and refreshing article about Greg Oden which I will of course link here.

I would try to paraphrase the article for you but I most certainly wouldn’t do it justice. So please just read it. I have written about my feelings (not gay) for Greg Oden before. The NBA needs 50 more guys just like him, and if not just like him, at least with the same attitude and respect he has displayed during his short college career. Ohio State was fortunate to have landed such a talented and personable player if even for just one year.
If the Milwaukee Bucks manage to secure the #1 pick in tonight’s NBA Draft Lottery I will be swinging from the rafters like Clyde in Every Which Way But Loose.
If they don’t select Greg Oden with the pick on June 28th, you won’t want to park your car in my neighborhood. “Scrap the Caddy, Clyde.”

No comments: