Saturday, May 12, 2007

% Black / % White

I know this came out a while ago, but I just want to touch on it a bit here. ESPN did a survey of baseball fans about how they felt about Barry Bonds. The results were predictable with some people voting for him and some voting against him. I don’t have any strong opinions about whether he passes Hank Aaron for the most home runs or if he should or should not be voted into the baseball hall of fame. But I do have strong opinions on how this survey was conducted.

Barry Bonds is black. This is the year 2007. I don’t see why any survey should be differentiated between black people and white people. You would think by now the sports world would not look at black athletes differently from white athletes. If Barry Bonds was white would we have the same kind of survey results? If Jason Giambi (another alleged steroid user) was closing in on Hank Aaron’s home run record would the media come down on him like they are on Bonds? I would imagine so. The media would be out for the kill no matter what race the player is that passes Hank Aaron assuming that player has been linked to a steroid probe. Therefore, why do this stupid survey and break it out between black and white?

Now, I can’t think like a black man. I might have a black man’s penis and I have been working on my tan, but I can’t say I’ve lived the life of a black man and experienced whatever comes at you being non-white. But the survey, while I don’t agree with the whole thing, did prove my point at the end. Survey question #8 asked “Do you think he’s been treated unfairly mainly because of his race, mainly because of his personality, or mainly because of his alleged use of steroids?” 1% of white people said it was because of his race compared 27% of black people. I will agree that if this survey was taken back when Hank Aaron was playing the results would be completely different. Thank goodness society has advanced since then. I’m not sure if I’m correct in saying that according to this survey that white people don’t see Barry Bonds as being a black person but more likely a baseball player, but that’s what I’m going to guess it’s hinting at. That’s how I see Barry Bonds. Actually that’s not true. I see Barry Bonds as one hell of a baseball player with a very good swing. Barry Bonds is damn good.

One question I can’t figure out is #5: If Bonds does pass Aaron, do you think Bonds should or should not be recognized as the new career home-run leader? I am baffled with the results: 78% black and 53% white agreed that he should be recognized as the leader. I don’t see why, if using race as a motivating factor (pretty much the main theme here), that there would be any difference in the percentages as both Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds are black. Please do fill me in if I’m missing something here. Really, I’d like to know.

I don’t think any modern day sports survey should be handled in this sort of manner. Sports have been around for a long time. Black athletes and white athletes have played together for at least as long as I can remember (and much more). A poll of this nature does not help modern day society to forget the past and move on.

Sad to say, very sad to say, but a poll of this kind might have relevance in the upcoming Presidential election. Unfortunately, some things haven’t changed.




Sorry for the lack of shitting/peeing/puking/masturbating jokes on this one.

No comments: