Thursday, September 20, 2012

Marquette University Donation

I got a call from the Marquette University Alumni Association.  Appearantly they have students calling for donations.

Caller: Hi, I'm calling for the Marquette University Alumni Association.  How are you today?

Me: I'm ok I guess.

[The only reason I answered the call was because they had called ten times before.]

Caller: Can I ask about your experience at Marquette?

Me: Well, I didn't really like it that much.

[The cheery voice on the other end became hesitent.]

Caller: What about it didn't you like?

Me: I didn't really like the students, a lot seemed like stuck up rich kids.  Oh, and Calculus 3, God did that suck.

Caller: I'm sorry to hear that.  What was your major?

Me: Electrical Engineering.

Caller: Well, we've made a lot of changes recently including a new engineering building.  The reason I'm calling is to ask you for a donation to help students pay for their tuition.  Tuition is currently $32,000 and room and board can run up to $10,000.

Me: No wonder why student loans are becoming such a big problem.  Maybe you should stop building new buildings.

Caller: Would you be willing to donate $100 to our tuition fund?

Me: Have you listened to anything I've said?

Caller: Or maybe a lessor donation of $25?

Me: Sorry, I only attended your school for two years, I'm a UW-Milwaukee graduate.

Caller: Ok, sir, can we at least update your contact information?

Me: It's bad enough that you have my phone number.

Caller: Uh, ok, thank you.

$160,000 to attend fours years of college?  Heaven forbid if you change majors and it takes you five years.  That is just insane.  Your best bet would be to pay $1,500 a month for 15 years and live in your parents' basement.  That sounds really appealing.

No comments: