Friday, July 15, 2011

Coming of Age

As I get older I'm starting to realize that I have more choices to make.  When I was younger and someone brought doughnuts in to work, I'd be polite and take one.  Yesterday I had four.  If the "free doughnuts" email went out at 8:30 it's not my fault if someone else didn't take one by 9:30.  On Sunday's, if I don't want to go to church I really don't have to (but I still talk to The Big Guy on a regular basis).  Someone suggested going to the State Fair at 8:00 pm on a Saturday and I nixed that, opting for a noon start time for fun in the sun with plenty of beer and a safe walk home around 8:00 pm (might give you an idea of where I live).  The police used to be the enemy but now I don't have a problem making a call when my neighbor cranks his stereo playing some ghetto-ass music (the ordinance is no noise 50 feet away, not full volume until 10:00 pm as some morans think).
 
But there is one thing that was branded in my upbringing that I've never backed out of: going to the dentist.  I've seen the same dentist my whole life, every six months as a kid, every nine months now that I have to pay for it.  Being a moderate (ehem...) smoker and coffee drinker, regular visits to the dentist are probably advised.  I've had two cavities in my life but I'm 95% sure those happened because of my addiction to sunflower seeds (whole seeds in one cheek and swapping them over to the other side after cracking them, all in the office environment mind you).
 
I got the reminder of my appointment in the mail this week.  It seems that every time I go it ends up running me at least $125.  I've been doing a new savings technique lately (yes, yet another savings plan).  Every paycheck I've been sticking a $100 bill in my wallet.  I've done this for eight paychecks now.  Looking at this small sample, $125 taken out of $800 is a big percentage.  In the grand scheme of things it's a penny in the wishing well (because I'm soooooo looooooaded!) but I like to play these mental money games; keeps me on my toes.  The phone call went like this:
 
Me:  Hi, this is B to the..., I have an appointment for next week Wednesday.
 
Receptionist:  Yes, we have you down for 3:30.
 
Me:  I was wondering if I could cancel that.  It's a week away, is it too late to cancel?
 
Receptionist:  No, that's fine.  Would you like to reschedule the appointment?
 
Me:  Umm, no, not really.
 
Receptionist:  Would you like us to give you a reminder call in three months?
 
Me:  Ahh, I'll put it on my calendar to call you.
 
Receptionist:  Ok, just don't forget about us.
 
Success!  I actually felt a little naughty when I hung up.

No comments: