Saturday, November 13, 2010

Home Owenership

I've been questioning my purchase of my house/home lately. I bought it five years ago, pretty much at the peak of the housing market. Not even sure there still is a "housing market". My neighbor bought his house for $45,000 less than I paid, $30,000 less than I owe on mine. That a big difference.

I bought my house because it was a block away from my favorite bar (which has since closed). I was sick of walking eight blocks and slipping on icey sidewalks so hey, let's drop a boat load of money on a house! Sure, I was old enough and financially stable enough, but still, it was a rash decision. I did a little research, made an offer, made a counter offer and moved in. Bang, bang, I was in.

Now I have this rather large cloud hanging over my head. Sure, the FA would say that's "good debt", but it's still a debt hanging over my head. And now that interest rates are below 5% I can't even get that rate without putting another $20,000 against my loan. I'm currently at 5.5% so I'm not that much over 5%, but every percentage helps.

I have a coworker who just moved out of her ex-boyfriend's apartment into an apartment of her own. She's paying $650 for rent. Last mont I paid $660 in interest. Sure, there's a tax credit and all but still, cash out the window. I pay extra towards the principal every month but there's always the FA in the back of my head, investing more, hopefully making more than 5.5%, and having cash on hand verses paying down a debt. It's a brutal tug of war in my mind. Most people wouldn't think this way, but I do, even in my self medicated sleep.

But then, like every night this week, there's the Klipsch SW-450. Since I bought it I've cranked it every night watching movies. I couldn't do that living in an apartment. I'm surprised I can do it with the Renter (she complains that it's loud but I think it actually tickles her vigina a little). The fact that I can crank the stereo to it's limits and not get in trouble is a big plus in my mind. Coming from the guy who had four 10" subs in his '87 Chevy Celebrity.

I don't know, guess I'm fortunate, in today's day and age, that I'm faced with this "problem", saving verses debt reduction, trying to find the right ratio. "Disposable income" isn't a term most people know.

Fuck, now I'm sounding pompous. That's not who I am.

Oh, and my dad, who I haven't had much contact with after he left my mom high and dry, is retiring and moving to Florida with his girlfriend at the end of the year. Bought a house and everything. Maybe it isn't the new subwoofer that's keeping me up late self medicating myself well past my bedtime.

Remember when this blog used to be funny? I don't.

No comments: