Thursday, October 28, 2010

Five Day Fax?

I guess in some aspects I hold an important position at my place of employment. With the job title of Accountant I'm also what the Renter likes to call the HR Bitch. I have to make sure everyone's payroll and benefits are handled correctly. It's not that tough as long as you keep on top of it.

Recently we had an employee go to court and get full custody of his kids. This meant that he wouldn't have a sizable portion taken out of his pay check for child support. He gave me the court papers for evidence and I assumed the order from Child Support Enforcement would come shortly thereafter.

It never came.

We process our payroll on Tuesday to be paid on Friday. The Thursday before I had called CSE and they didn't have any record of the change. I called the next day and they said they saw the change and would fax it over.

I checked the fax machine every two hours on Monday but nothing showed up. I called them at 3:45 and the message said their hours of operation were from 8:00-4:30 - and that they were now closed. ???

I called back first thing Tuesday morning in order to hopefully get everything settled before I had to call the payroll in. I got a nice lady on the phone who said she saw the support had been terminated. I asked her about my fax request since I kind of wanted something a little more concrete than a verbal ok to make the change. She asked when I had asked for the fax. She then informed me the fax requests take five days to be processed.

Five. Days.

For. A. Fax.

Seriously? It's 2010 and a fax, which by nature is almost instantanious, was going to take five days. FIVE DAYS!!!

Going on her word I took the child support payment off when I called the payroll in. An hour later I got a fax that said he owed a smaller amount each pay check. I immediately called back and the payroll was already processed. We'll just double up on the next payroll, no big deal.

The next day I got a letter in the mail stating all payments were to be stopped. The letter was dated the 25th and I got it on the 27th (faster than a fucking fax, who knew!).

Oh, and every time I have to call there I have to sit through two and a half minutes of blabber before I can even choose the "employer" option.

And wait five days for a fax.

No comments: