Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Straight Up Holmes

With a big weekend coming up filled with plenty of outdoor activities (including golf, pontoon boats and jet skis), I thought it would be a good time for a hair cut. I left the office around 12:30 yesterday and headed to my usual clipping shop. Mind you I said usual; it's not my favorite by far. It does have two things going for it. While they are always very busy I don't think I've ever waited longer than five minutes before getting seated (no wait yesterday). And I like their price: $5. It's gotta be the cheapest place in town. The only draw back is you don't know what your hair will look like when you leave.

Like I said, there wasn't a wait on Tuesday. I was assigned to an older hispanic woman who looked like she was having a bad day. Great, I thought, but I wasn't going to judge her based on her looks. I sat in the chair, told her I hadn't been in for over a month and just needed a little off. She grabbed the clippers and made a test run on the side of my head. I told her the length looked good and she continued cutting my hair. I let out a sigh of relief as things were going rather well.

But then, as she was finishing up, she went for the hair dryer. She proceeded to blow my hair straight back so it was standing straight up. When she got done I looked like Kid from Kid 'n Play. As I got up to pay I noticed that all the hispanic guys in the shop looked exactly like me. I know I have a bit of a tan from sitting on the deck all the time but I am clearly not latino. I paid leaving the usual $5 tip and walked to my car. I tried to flatten it out but I knew nothing would work besides completely soaking my head in the bathroom at work. Then it hit me: I had to go back to work looking like this.

My friend in the wheel chair saw me first. "What happened to you?" "Didn't you hear, its the new 'it' thing. Maybe if you had more hair you could do it too!"

It didn't end there. Another co-worker was leaving the bathroom as I was going in. "Nice doo, man!" Thankfully, after dousing my head in the sink it finally went down. No wonder why I get mini panic attacks when I go for hair cuts.

No comments: