Friday, June 18, 2010

Social Networking


I’ll admit it; I’m not all that hip when it comes to the whole social networking thing. I remember back when Myspace first came out. I went on the site a couple times, set up my own page and everything, but when I saw other people’s pages and the extent they went to jazz it up and all, I just wasn’t up to that kind of a commitment. Yet I spend hours and hours putting stuff on this site, go figure. The Myspace page might have lasted a month.

I’m not really web site savvy as in putting up cool banners or other interactive things. This horrible, horrible blog hasn’t changed its look since the beginning of time, whenever that sad, sad day was. I could probably dig around on the interwebs and figure out how to do some new stuff but I just don’t have the motivation for it. Also, I rarely actually log on to the blogger.com website; most of my posts come straight from my cell phone.

I have never been on the Facebook website. After what happened with my Myspace experience I figured why bother. I don’t even know if Facebook is anything like Myspace or not, the concept still freaks me out a little. Do you have Facebook “friends”? If so, just another reason to not go on the site. I wouldn’t have many. I have two friends who don’t use computers (like ever) and other friends who I assume are too old to give a shit about social networking. Those types pick up the phone and make a call if they want to get in touch. Some I’m afraid to text them since that technology just came out ten years ago.

I’ve been on a couple Twitter pages but I find them hard to read. Most posts have a lot of #’s and @’s and other crazy symbols which I have yet to decipher. I couldn’t even tell you who the tweet came from, the page owner or someone else. I don’t even know if that’s possible. Anyone? Anyone?

On Wednesday’s they have a farmer’s market just down the street from my office. I’ve gone there a couple times in the past but I don’t really have a need for fresh produce or some pretty flowers. Years back I went three times during one lunch as they were handing out free ice cream. That was back when I liked ice cream. (Who doesn’t like ice cream? ME!)

Today’s cover photo on the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel showed two women looking at flowers at the before mentioned farmers market. They looked cute, thin, sexy even. The caption on the photo had their first and last names. Now, you know I’ve gone on Yahoo! Personals in the past and checked out every hottie from numerous cities around the US, but having these women’s first and last names and doing a search (stalk) on them just didn’t seem quite right.

I dove in head first.

The first site that came up was a Linkedln site which listed all of “Gail’s” work and school history. Further down on the page there was a link that said “My website.” After clicking on that it brought up Gail’s rather plain looking website. Don’t get me wrong, it’s ten times better than this one here, but I’m looking for boobies and Gail wasn’t showing any.

Back to the Linkedln site I found another link for Gail’s Twitter account. On there it said she has 215 following and 346 followers – guessing that’s a lot? Youngsters these days use all kinds of abbreviations which leave me totally flabbergasted (<3 = love?) so I didn’t stay on there for too long. I found a list of “following” people, clicked on a cute face and low-and-behold it was the other girl in the picture! Karla didn’t look like much in the photo but she cleaned up well for pictures on her website. I flipped through her site, read about her trip to the farmer’s market, clicked on “about me” and noticed a “comments” link in the upper right corner. Hmmm, do I really dare send her a message? “Fame (and fortune?) for checking out the flowers at the farmers market? If only I had known that’s where all the hot chicks hang out…”

That isn’t stalkerish, is it?

I hit the “post comment” button. It posted. Not to her post about the farmer’s market, but to the “about me” page.

I don’t think I’m using this social networking thing the way it was meant to be used.

No comments: