Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Gone Fishing

Last Saturday I went on a little fishing trip with Mr. Slovack and the Renter. Oh, and we took the puppy along, too. The morning started out rough as I was still feeling it from the night before. Eventually I made up my mind and the Slovack showed up around noon, boat and trailer all hooked up.

We made our way about 30 minutes west with a stop at the Bait Shop (fishing licenses) and at some tavern on the way (Slovack was hoping someone he knew was working). Around 1:00 we finally got the boat in the water. After five minutes of trying to get the motor started, with numerous people watching us, the Slovack finally got it going and we were off – minus one little detail. The puppy didn’t like the sound of the motor or something and decided to bail only to find out the dock which used to be right next to the boat was no longer there. Sploosh, six inches under she went! I reached down and scooped her up with one arm and got my own lake water bath as she shook most of it off right at my feet. Ten minutes in to the excursion and I already had a shivering puppy.

The Slovack started out across the lake with him driving and the Renter and I sitting slightly behind him. This didn’t work too well with our fat asses so far back and the nose of the boat was pointing skyward so I moved up to the front to level everything out, holding the puppy for a little extra weight (eight pounds). The Slovack decided to show off his 50 hp motor and within no time we were flying around the lake with me trying to keep both myself and the puppy from getting bumped off. Eventually he settled it down and the poles came out.

After having my pole in the water for five minutes I had multiple nibbles, an encouraging sign. Little did I know that those would be the only nibbles I’d get for the remaining six hours. That kind of put a damper on the whole fishing thing but it was still fun being out in the boat with numerous pontoon boats floating by with chicks in bikinis. I had a cooler full of ice cold beer so I was set.

When it came time to get the boat out of the water the Renter and I got out in order to lighten the load. As the Slovack was making his attempt to center it on the trailer I decided to give him a helping hand and guide it in from the dock. With my toes over the edge and hand on the boat I almost had it perfectly lined up – till I lost my balance. Even though it was only two feet deep I subconsciously made the decision that I was going for the boat. I jumped landing with my beltline on the edge of the boat. My feet dangled in the air as I tried to get the rest of my body on the boat. Needless to say there were again numerous people there to observe and chuckle. I managed to get back on and the Slovack hit the trailer dead on with his second attempt.

I should have just gone in the water. Sunday I had bruises on my hips and arms. One of the anchor hooks wound up precariously close to my man goods. The black and blue mark on my right hip sends searing pain through my body with less than ten pounds of pressure (puppy weight).

No bluegills, just black and blue.

No comments: