Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Crunching Some Numbers


I’m not exactly sure how to go about this, but it’s been on my mind lately…

And not just because I got drunk and swam in the pool every day…

I’ve been looking at jobs and homes in Phoenix. More so the homes; looking for jobs just reminds me that I have to work for who knows how many more years. The homes in Phoenix seem to be priced very well. I found a couple 1,600 sq ft homes, with pools, for $125,000. Could you imagine coming home from work with the above in your backyard? I haven’t seen one yet that had property taxes over $2,000 (mine were $3,300 last year). That being said, if I could put 20% down ($25,000) I’d be paying $500 less a month than I am now and living in a city where they don’t see snow. Of course part of that $25,000 would come from the sale of my home and who knows what the fuck figure that would go for now-a-days – or how long it would take to sell. I did recently paint the kitchen and living room to spruce it up a bit. And the 16’x20’ deck my dad and I put on the back has to increase the home value. The other thing is I don’t know how much the $8,000 credit for new home buyers would play into everything. The one thing I do know is the December 1st deadline, not exactly all that far away. I am located pretty much as far west in Milwaukee as you can get and still be living in the actual city – great for cops and city employees who need to live in the city limits. Selling a house seems like it would be a big stressful ordeal.

I’m pretty sure the best way to do everything would be to find a job first, put the house on the market and get an apartment in Phoenix till the house sells. Unlike most of those nut cases out there who bought too much house, took on too big of a loan and all of a sudden can’t afford to pay their $7,000 mortgages, I could pay my modest mortgage and still afford an apartment. I can see if you lost your job or got injured or something, but I really don’t want to see those people on HG TV anymore whining about how fucked they are as they can’t sell their 3,500 sq ft home. Blow me.

Sorry, got off on a tangent there…

As if selling the house, in today’s market, doesn’t sound bad enough, finding a job, in today’s market, doesn’t sound much better. It’s especially hard when you have an interview and just want to be yourself but the fact is that nobody is their real self during an interview so you sound like a dumb ass neanderthal compared to all the straight-faced liars out there. My personality will win anyone over but my responses, while truthful, certainly won’t win me any brownie points. Might have to work on that lying thing…

(Even thinking about this shit is making me sweat.)

If any of you have any ideas or comments, feel free to post anything you’d like.

No comments: