Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Top Secret

I snuck in through the back door. I knew I didn’t have much time to find what I was looking for. I had enlisted the services of Madam Svetlanna to occupy him, giving me more time to dig around, but let’s face it: Madam Svetlanna is good at what she does, maybe too good. He wouldn’t be out of the office for long. I turned on my flashlight and went down the hall. After a little searching I saw the filing cabinet I was looking for. I tested the top drawer and let out a sigh of relief; it wasn’t locked. To my dismay the files weren’t arranged alphabetically but in more of a haphazard way, probably in order of what was most important to him. Finding what I needed wasn’t going to be easy. I heard a noise from down the hall and quickly turned off my flashlight. I peered around the corner and didn’t see anything. I went back and opened the second drawer. My sources, my contractor, had informed me that what they wanted me to retrieve was most certainly in front of me so I continued to search. I pulled file after file, folder after folder, examining each one and carefully replacing it in exactly the same spot I had found it. I looked at my watch as I dug into the third drawer. He would be returning soon. I had almost given up hope when…

The stupid games I play, at age 31, to make a boring task like filing into something a bit more interesting. But hey, it worked.

No comments: