Monday, July 02, 2007

No, I’m Not Chinese

If you had the 6th pick in the NBA Draft, wouldn’t you make sure the guy you select will actually want to come and play for you? From ESPN:

Agent Dan Fegan pushed for the 19-year-old Yi to go to a city with a larger Asian-American population, and Bucks general manager Larry Harris said Fegan was shocked that Milwaukee selected him with the sixth pick. According to Census data, Milwaukee has a little more than 1,200 Chinese residents among its population of nearly 600,000.
"We feel that the Bucks are not the best fit for Yi Jianlian," Yi's Chinese agent, Zhao Gang, told SportsTicker. "Our team will make contact with other teams who have watched Yi's training and games to see if there is any possibility of a trade."


Seriously, give me a $3 mil contract and I’ll go over to China to play with all the Chinese people. Give me a $3 mil contract and I’ll go over to Africa to play with all the African people. Give me a $3 mil contract and I’ll wear a wig and fake breasts and play in the WNBA with all the women. Would it make that much of a difference if I was in the white minority of .2%? Hell no. He obviously came to the States to play basketball. Most people in the States are not Chinese. So what did he think he was getting in to? And you know, most people in the States speak English. Was he hoping that he wouldn’t have to learn the language past “foul” or “pass” or “we don’t play defense in this league”? Or is he just making this up as an excuse to get on a team in a larger market? Doesn’t matter, the dude’s fucking ugly anyway. Who was I pushing for? Corey Brewer, the guy who was selected immediately after the tall Chinese schmuck. Larry Harris pretty much screwed this one up.

No comments: